July 31, 2009

First Semester Completed!

I woke up early this morning and decided to add graphics and additional links to my LIS 2600 portfolio - my last project due this term! It hasn't really hit me yet that this semester is over. It will be so nice to have a month to catch up on chores and pursue other projects. And just maybe the sun will decide to visit western PA for a few weeks in August. Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm also going to start volunteering at my community library soon, which I hope will help me decide if I want to work in a public library setting. I'm going to help out with the web site, which will be fun.

I registered for the next two required courses in the program for fall 2009 (6 credits). They are LIS 2005: Organizing and Retrieving Information and LIS 2700: Managing Libraries and Information Systems and Services in Changing Environments.

I want to give a shout out to my good friend and former University of the Virgin Islands colleague Merritt (pictured on the left), who introduced me to Pitt's MLIS program. I just talked to her yesterday and told her to check out my blog. Merritt was one of the USVI cohort students on St. Croix. I thought she was crazy to pursue a graduate program while working full-time managing the university bookstore, but she completed the program. I wasn't interested in library science at the time, but I did think the courses sounded interesting. It wasn't until this year that I looked into the program for myself. So thanks, Merritt!

1 comment: