February 16, 2010

A Library-Themed Christmas

This Christmas, my husband gave me several library-themed gifts. I said I was touched because it demonstrated to me how he was supportive of my decision to pursue an MLIS degree and change careers. His response was, "Oh, sure, that's what I was doing."

Okay, so maybe he didn't intentionally select the gifts for that reason, but he has been very supportive and I love the gifts. (If you're wondering where he found them, he searched Google for "librarian.")

My favorite gift (shown at right) is the Deluxe Librarian Action Figure, with “amazing push-button Shushing Action.” Featuring the likeness of real librarian Nancy Pearl, the 5” tall vinyl figure comes with a reference desk, computer, book cart, multiple book stacks and some loose books, including a tiny plastic replica of Nancy's book, "Book Lust."

My other gifts included the following books: "Death Books A Return: A Scrappy Librarian Mystery," by Marion Moore Hill, which I very much enjoyed reading over the holiday break (I also ordered her other book in the series); "Quiet, Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian," by Scott Douglas, which I'm reading now (very funny); and "Library: An Unquiet History," by Matthew Battles, which I'm planning to read during the semester break.

1 comment: