May 30, 2009

Let's Go Pens!

I'm really enjoying this beautiful day and looking forward to the Penguins game tonight!

Pittsburgh is an interesting sports town. The fans either fully support the teams when they are winning (Penguins, Steelers) or abandon them when they are not (Pirates). I think this is because we have such a long tradition of winning. All I knew about professional sports when I was growing up here was winning -- super bowl parties, the song "we are family," etc. The bad side of this (I think) is that the fans can be so negative when the teams are not winning. In the 2 years I've been back in this area, I've seen Steelers fans boo their own team when they aren't doing well during a game!

I moved to Baltimore in 1996 shortly after the Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens. That's where I met my husband, Dave. The city hadn't had a football team in like 20 years and fans (including Dave, whose beloved Baltimore Colts left in the middle of the night for Indianapolis when he was a kid) were so excited to finally get a football team. Baltimore fans were also very supportive of their baseball them, the Orioles, even when they were not doing well (which was a lot). I have to say that I admired their loyalty.

Even so, it is fun to be living again in Pittsburgh and being here for all the fun sporting events. I enjoy hockey except for the fighting. My husband is now a big Pens fan too (Baltimore has no hockey team). We named our cat after Geno!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! "Very supportive" does not even begin to describe the insanity that is Baltimore Ravens and Orioles fans. I made the mistake, when I first moved into the city, of trying to drive down Pratt St. past the Inner Harbor just after a Sunday afternoon Ravens game. It must have taken me half and hour to get 5 blocks.
    I used to live in Mount Vernon and the only problem we had was when someone broke into the basement of our apartment building and into the storage space we were using down there. But I blame that entirely on my landlord. I've not really had any other problems with crime, although I know I few people that have gotten mugged while walking through neighborhoods they should not have been in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! We don't do cats at our salon either, although I did go through the certification. Kitties can be very unpredictable. Also, pet groomers are in extremely high demand! Right now we're booked full for almost two weeks, which leads to more stress, which unfortunately, along with schoolwork, leads to whiny blog posts.

    ReplyDelete